Friday, July 07, 2006

"It all comes down to hot dog management at this point."

Flipping through the channels last night I came across what I think was titled the "Major League Hot Dog Eating Contest." I was enjoying some Arby's at the time and let me tell you, this is not something you need to watch while eating. I actually wanted to throw up for these guys. Especially the winners who ate 53.75 and 52 hot dogs repsectively. It was probably the worst thing I've ever seen on TV. And that includes the show on Discovery about hiddeous wounds that wouldn't close up.

The best part was the announcers in the background giving a play-by-play. My favorite line was something like "Well, were in the last four minutes now, and it all comes down to hot dog management at this point." They act like this was a real sport, talking about strategy and technique. You shove hot dogs down your throat. Where's the strategy in that.

Maybe it is a sport. Maybe I just don't get it. However, it does make ESPN 2 look at lot more like ESPN 8 from the movie "Dodgeball." "The Ocho. If it's almost a sport ... we cover it."

No comments: