Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Why I hate coupons

So, I'm in line at Wal-Mart, which is probably my least favorite place to be. I've just spent 20 minutes shopping, and another 10 in line is not my idea of fun.

The couple in front of me has just finished checking out $200 worth of groceries. That takes a while.

Just as I see a light at the end of the tunnel, the woman whips out a stack of coupons as thick as the last Harry Potter book. And, of course, as the cashier begins to scan them (after picking her chin up off the floor) most of them have some sort of issue which requires her to punch an elaborate code into the machine. This adds a solid five minutes to the process. I really wish I was kidding.

It saved them a grand total of five dollars. Now, I realize five dollars is a lot of money to some people. In fact, to me it's generally a lot of money. However, at that point I was tempted to offer her five dollars just to leave right then.

There has got to be a better way for stores to handle coupons. It's a pain for the employees, and it's a pain for every customer except the one saving the money.

No comments: